Friday, September 17, 2010

"Weird doors open. People fall into things."


I'm a little late, but I finally got around to reading some David Sedaris. And I absolutely love him. He's sort of a phenomenon in the literary world, and after reading Me Talk Pretty One Day, I think it is totally well deserved. This book is a series of essays (which is essentially what all of his books are, at least I think so) that are all about Mr. Sedaris' life. These range from childhood anecdotes (Giant Dreams, Midget Abilities) to everyday moments of his adult life (Picka Pocketoni). The thing I like most about this book is that no matter what the subject matter is, he makes it laughable and light-hearted, whether it be something that is already giggle worthy, or the self-depreciating dark material I had heard about him. This book had me laughing out loud throughout, and in the end, I came away looking at life in a different way. Mr. Sedaris has reinforced my philosophy that there is humor in everything. Highly recommended.

No comments: